Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Naughty Norah. RIP.


Gawd, helluva day so far. I scraped the children out of bed this morning,they were pretty grumpy. When I finally ushered them downstairs I found a kind gift of a mouse in my office, (thank you so much cats!) Then on opening up the chickens I found we had a death in the family.

Naughty Norah died last night. She was a funny little thing, always scruffy, determined, up to no good. When we got her almost a year ago she was the first of our battery rescuees to investigate the fields and always last to come to bed at lock up time, hence her name. She preferred the company of the horses than her fellow chooks. She was a real character.

I'd noticed that her vent was sore on Sunday. I duly bathed her in warm water and applied Vaseline and each day she looked better and better. I suspected she was egg bound. Yesterday I called my husband in Germany to say that she looked lots better. She died in the night.

The children are sad. I'm more philosophical: She was rescued from certain death, delisted from a battery hen farm. She's had one year with us scritching and scratching around The Larches, she didn't seem to be in pain and she died in the coop with all the girls. I'm glad she came to live with us.

This morning I've thoroughly cleaned the coop, given all the girls and Rooster their 6 week dose of mite powder and laid down new soft shavings. Back to egg production I say.

Tonight the 7yo, the 5yo and I will preside over a sombre burial. Rest in peace Naughty Norah

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon