Sunday, 19 September 2010

Batwoman!


Late last night hubby and I sat watching TV, the log burner roaring. We may have gone early on the log burner in the sitting room but it's new and gorgeous and the sitting room is pretty parky without some added heat - even in summer!

Suddenly I heard a squeaking noise and was off my seat, quick as blink, clearly a cat had brought a live present through the cat flap.

I entered the dark kitchen at speed and Tabby must have realised that I was none too pleased with his offering. He and his prize flapped back out the way they came in. I didn't recognise the squeal of the creature he'd caught and as it was still very much alive, so I grabbed the torch and lashed out into the walled garden.

Tabby, as I've mentioned before, is more dog than cat.

'Leave it' I said and reluctantly, leave it, he did.

It was a tiny bat, half the size of a golf ball. As I picked it up it bit me several times without piercing the skin, until it settled on my hand. (I'm pretty sure I don't have rabies this morning - but I'll let you know.) I checked its wings and body. It seemed unscathed.

I put it on the wall and eventually it flew off. Cute. I just can't imagine how Tabby caught it, although I do watch him patiently sitting at the pond, a favourite swooping area of the bats. Must have been one hell of a leap to catch the bat and avoid falling into the murky water!

Brilliant photo care of http://www.impactlab.net/2008/03/16/top-10-photos-of-the-week-5/

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon