Tuesday 8 February 2011

Gardening and Archie......

For the past five days, the greenhouse has resisted the urge to pull itself from its moorings and disappear into the sky, sucked up by the invisible cyclone that wracked the UK. At least it was a warm wind.
Inside the greenhouse the noise was tremendous, the polycarbonate panels threatening to ping off into the wide world, but when it comes to planting I'm a maniac...I've got 20 metres of shelving to fill and by gad I'm doing well. There are just 6 more metres to go....

Last night, as the wind started dropping I noticed the temperature was following suit. I proudly lit my new paraffin heater and voila! .... no difference whatsoever!!! However this morning, when I looked out across our fields to spy a medium ground frost, I noticed that my greenhouse was all steamed up, (I must get a greenhouse thermometer...) and all the plants were looking good inside.

Take a look.


Garlic

Rudbeckia emerging

Lettuce
The other thing that's growing fast is Archie. He, and I mean HE, must be a He, because as soon as I open the coop door he pops out and jumps straight on top. He so wants to be roaming with the other chickens but I'm still fearful that the cats will try to attack him. Even his voice is changing, no longer does he cheep, he sort of squawks. I think one night next month, I'll take him and his two girl friends and place them with all the others in the main coop. Sadly, I'll have to lock them all in for 3 days to get used to their new surroundings and to ensure the pecking order, but after that Archie, Flappy and The Calm One can roam free at The Larches. I only hope Rooster and Archie can live together, we'll see!

I'm outta here....

Archie: Bad hair day...

Cock a coop...

6 comments:

  1. Archie has got a badass look in his eye! Rooster may be in for a time of it. Your greenhouse gives us hope that spring may come yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your greenhouse makes me envious. I just found you -- through To the Manner Born. I'm adding you to my friends -- I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great start in the greenhouse. We have a few items in. Archie looks like trouble on two legs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you fit so much in to your days? Do you get extra hours up in Shropshire? Amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James: Yes Archie does have a certain 'Devil-may-care' look to him, but he's still really cuddly.

    I love standing in the greenhouse and looking at every tiny pot to see if there's been any new arrivals. Sad aren't I?

    Martha: Wow, thank you so much for the lovely comments. I had polytunnel envy last year (http://archers-at-the-larches.blogspot.com/2010/04/envy-jealousy-thou-shalt-not-covet.html) but in October hubby combined my Christmas and Birthday pressies to give me the best present ever - my lovely greenhouse

    legend in his own lunchtime: I await with interest Archie and Rooster's first meeting. It's a dilemma: Do I get Archie to full fighting weight before I join the two flocks, or do I put Archie in as a juvinile, to ensure he feels respect for his elder (even if it means he gets a bit bashed up??) The joys of motherhood.

    Wylye Girl: I (secretly) drink wine in my greenhouse... alone.. while listening to Radio 4 on my phone, (so I'm a profile Radio 4 listener really, even if I do live in the Midlands, 'oop narth' according to my Southern pals!)

    MadamSmokinGun: Oh I'm off to hug a police man - v funny uTube. I was most impressed and chuffed that you took the time to comment twice on the previous post. Thank you. As your editor, I feel I chose the best version to publish. X

    The reson why I do so much is; My kids are in school from 8-5:30 almost every day and the 8yo is in school half day on Saturdays..(how cruel are we?!! Don't answer that.) and mostly I feel like I get up before I've gone to sleep.

    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon