Thursday 1 April 2010

Envy, Jealousy, Thou Shalt Not Covet stuff....

I'm not prone to envy. I can look at others and think 'Ooo nice boots, skirt, hat, hair-do, nails...' without a twinge. I am resigned to the fact that I don't look as sexy as the other mums at school; my tummy wobbles when I walk and the under bits of my arms tend to swing a bit. Also, not being a thirty-something any more I find that unpleasant stuff happens when I run, (when I say run, I don't mean when I'm off for a power run, I mean when I have to lash about trying to catch a sick chicken or I'm forced to play hide-and-seek and I know the children will count to fifty as if they'd been inhaling helium, - y'know, Ruuuuuunnnnn.) But am I bitter?....not at all. Although I am big-time tempted by Lulu's new book, surely she is a witch who got a bit of the Philosopher's Stone before they destroyed it?!


(Picture from Amazon UK)

.......................BUT!..............................

Lately I have found myself coveting, desiring and it's a need that must be filled in this life-time. I go hot and cold, tingling with anticipation. I check my hair as we approach the place where I might just catch a glimpse. I have a crush. My head has been turned and I'm ashamed to say I have been known to brazenly stare, even if my husband's in the car!...............I WANT that polytunnel that sits in the heather and gorse outside a rural property we pass on the way to school. IT. IS. BEAUTIFUL. Let it be mine! There I've said it; I've got polytunnel envy. That sounds like a REAL disorder doesn't it? I don't need a cure thanks, just the polytunnel.

I don't think I've ever been the envy of someone else. As far as I'm aware no one's ever thought 'Wish I had three chins like that...' or 'Wish my hair stuck up like that...' However I am proud to announce that my friend has confessed to me that she feels envy when she sees me. She has Larder-Envy.

I do have a good one.





We call it 'the dairy' because there used to be a dairy on the land (if I write diary one more time I'll scream!!!) although pantry and larder will suffice. We think it's lead-lined as it was freezing even in August and it is one of the reasons why I fell in love with the house. Like us it's not overly tarted up, rather it's practical and keeps Prosecco really cold - attributes we admire.

I 'spose the moral of the story is, go on, have a bit of envy and enjoy the envy someone lavishes on you.

6 comments:

  1. What a heart warming post. I have greenhouse envy, but no where to pop one!!

    How is your young man getting on

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So - a polytunnel is a greenhouse? I'm with you there.
    I don't tend to envy stuff, but lifestyles sometimes. I'd say I have a serious case of barnheart - you know, yearning for the farm life.
    It is a lovely larder, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep a polytunnel is a plastic greenhouse, usually bigger than an average greenhouse. If you'd like a fix of barnheart occassionally, follow my blog - you can live vicariously through us....
    ....Hoping to publish a children's book for 9+ girls this year,...fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lulu's Secrets to Looking Good? She has HAD A BLOODY FACELIFT! (Sorry, temporary bitterness overload there.)
    BTW, don't know why, but my blog put your comments in my Spam folder. How dare it! I felt quite affronted on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh bugger! I thought that I might read the book and then possibly fork out for an expensive jar of yac semen or something and all my wrinkles would disappear......you've destroyed my hope..boo hooo..

    ReplyDelete

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon