Tuesday 18 May 2010

A Simple Pleasure...



For seven years, a soft toy has been my daughter's loving companion. A Carter's pink rabbit called 'Bed-Bear' is her most treasured item. He isn't a bear and he certainly doesn't stay in bed, but that's his name! She loves him and it relaxes her to rub her fingers along his silky label.

Since 2002, I have had to undertake major surgery on BB at least eight times,....organ replacement really,.... My daughter brings him to me with frayed or scratchy label and I repair him with love. I'm very grateful to him, you see, for all the comfort he gives her.

When she chose Bed-Bear long ago, hubby had the foresight to purchase three more replica 'BBs.' They arrived in little brown boxes. Boxes of sleep inducing rabbits. Over the years we regularly swapped clean for dirty when she slept, popping the dirty one into the washing machine and dryer overnight.

We've had plenty of scares: One Bed-Bear rode the tourist bus round and round Oxford, seeing all the sights, until a kindly bus driver dropped him back to us at the depot. Another time, on one late winter evening, we rushed out to get medicine for our new baby boy. In the haste, Bed-Bear was left behind at the store. He had been secreted behind the washing powders! Much later that night he was discovered, in his hiding place, by the store manager. We drove straight back to collect him.

I wouldn't ever try to part my baby from her friend, even though dentists have warned of buck teeth. I can't.... because, occasionally, I suck my thumb too, rubbing a silken cloth between my fingers and thumb.......and I'm not seven!



Is it really so bad? I don't smoke or partake of other more illegal substances....I do drink (I'm not perfect!) But when I'm tired, just like my daughter, I choose the comfort of my thumb.....you should try it....it's really great.

3 comments:

  1. Ah how sweet Lou!. I used to suck my thumb til I was 16 years old!!! And yes I needed a brace because of it. My daughter is a thumb sucker (used to be accompanied with a small paddington bear called 'Paddy' but he feel to bits lol. My son took a fancy to a silky nightie whilst I was breasfeeding him, which I then had to cut up and is called his cuddly. He's now 9 and still has 'cuddlies' but like you I brought a few more nighties from M&S to replace over the years! We really are too soft aren't we! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How famlier. Mini has Bear Bear and spare bear and red bear too. I feel the same way as you and I have no intention of taking them from him. He loves them and that is fine by me. I have a blankey and I too used to suck my thumb and in times of need it is always there

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mum stopped me doing it by putting mustard on my thumb ! Isn't that quaint ! You ! My oldest never had a comforter but the other two do. My younger son has two identical ones - bear and other bear. I've had that moment of cold fear in a hotel when you can't find them..Or when someone checks your carry on at the airport, pulls out bear and other bear and I snarl 'get your filthy hands off'. Vert very sweet photo. xxx

    ReplyDelete

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon