Thursday, 27 May 2010
Ten Months...or 40 weeks...or 300 days....approximately
The Archers have been resident at The Larches for exactly 10 months today! It's whizzed by.
1. All four of us are still alive. (Although the 5yo and the 7yo, have made valiant attempts to test this claim...)
2. Also alive, are eight rescued battery hens, one donated rooster and two cats. Kept warm through a pretty chilly winter, I hasten to add.
3. I am loving writing here at The Larches, and have almost finished editing my book for 9+ girls. It's called Greystone School - First Freedom and when I'm completely happy, I'll let you know more!
4. We have almost killed one very persistent 80yo wisteria ....wisteria lovers beware of thy foundations!!
5. We have met lovely horse people, who use our facilities and fields. We have also forced ourselves on the neighbours/villagers, (I think they think we're ok, mad but ok!)
6. We have purchased an ancient and stinky 4x4, which has proved invaluable
7. We have reclaimed the gardens and house, from the grips of Mother Nature ....including ridding the attic of rats, ughhh!
8. The new veg patch, plus the chickens' eggs, should help supplement our food from here on, till September. Plus, we still have the apples, stoned fruit and hedgerow fare, like blackberries, to reap and store. Husband is also learning to shoot. Thus we are beginning to see our smallholding take shape ...I'll let you know as we progress.
9. We have resisted children's pleas, to purchase a horse. (Willy the Shetland doesn't count, as he just lives here f.o.c. and for that, the babies get the occasional riding lesson from the owner)
10. WE ARE BIG-TIME HAPPY.
1. My bottom is not as nice as Felicity Kendal's,although luckily my husband, who wears v. strong glasses, thinks it is.