Thursday 27 May 2010

Ten Months...or 40 weeks...or 300 days....approximately


The Archers have been resident at The Larches for exactly 10 months today! It's whizzed by.

Achievements:
1. All four of us are still alive. (Although the 5yo and the 7yo, have made valiant attempts to test this claim...)

2. Also alive, are eight rescued battery hens, one donated rooster and two cats. Kept warm through a pretty chilly winter, I hasten to add.

3. I am loving writing here at The Larches, and have almost finished editing my book for 9+ girls. It's called Greystone School - First Freedom and when I'm completely happy, I'll let you know more!

4. We have almost killed one very persistent 80yo wisteria ....wisteria lovers beware of thy foundations!!

5. We have met lovely horse people, who use our facilities and fields. We have also forced ourselves on the neighbours/villagers, (I think they think we're ok, mad but ok!)

6. We have purchased an ancient and stinky 4x4, which has proved invaluable

7. We have reclaimed the gardens and house, from the grips of Mother Nature ....including ridding the attic of rats, ughhh!

8. The new veg patch, plus the chickens' eggs, should help supplement our food from here on, till September. Plus, we still have the apples, stoned fruit and hedgerow fare, like blackberries, to reap and store. Husband is also learning to shoot. Thus we are beginning to see our smallholding take shape ...I'll let you know as we progress.

9. We have resisted children's pleas, to purchase a horse. (Willy the Shetland doesn't count, as he just lives here f.o.c. and for that, the babies get the occasional riding lesson from the owner)

10. WE ARE BIG-TIME HAPPY.



Failures:
1. My bottom is not as nice as Felicity Kendal's,although luckily my husband, who wears v. strong glasses, thinks it is.

10 comments:

  1. Bravo ! Congrats ! That is a tres tres belle fleur ! Is the snake for sale ? The huge one ? My son watched your video footage. I am, not great with snakes. Has The Larchers had a haircut ? Seriously this is dream country living for us urban types, it looks fabulous. I've seen Felicity Kendal in real life, not that much to write home about xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, I am sure that you will continue to be blissfully happy. When you follow a dream there is much reward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't there a sketch on the 'Young Nnes' many moons ago about Felicity Kendals knickers......giving my age away now! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm all too familiar with your experience in the country and I have really enjoyed watching all this unfold. I think you deserve a few bottles of Prosecco glass in hand relaxing in that beautiful garden.
    You will need more than tea and scones for all the hard work you have done.
    Flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're living a dream I hope to follow one day (without the rats - ew!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met the good Felicity once and she was very lovely. Obviously that was deeply annoying in itself. But hey - I can't be a bitch ALL the time............. can I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belgravia wife: please see January blog list - 'The Tree Surgeons' post, if you want video footage of the de-hairying of Larches! ....pleased to say, haven't seen the big Boa Consqueezeyou since!!
    Mads: I'm livin' the dream baby...and with no money! Lottery win required!
    Smiffy: How dare they even mention her holinesses' knickers! Wash their mouths out!
    natural selection: So pleased to have you aboard. (Any experience gratefully accepted) The flowers are wonderful, they just keep appearing. The lilies are gorgeous.
    Kat: Hmmmm, the rats have been a bit of a challenge, I must admit.
    MadameSmokinGun: ...........go on, give it a try, I love your bitchin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many congratulations serious acheivements here I love the fact that your husband is deliciously blind so's mine and he too thinks my bum looks like Felicty Kendalls - bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! Love your old fashion roses! Looking forward to following your progress on the property!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful list of achievements. The process may have been hard along the way, but oh, what progress you've made!

    ReplyDelete

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon