Monday 17 May 2010

Gardening with chickens......(is quite annoying!)


In the 'master-plan,' the gardens were to be au natural: A little bit wild, they would comprise specimen plants, pretty weeds as well as fruit and vegetables. In this idyllic setting, insects and creatures would thrive, chickens would scritch and scratch, helpfully eating all the slugs and snails.

Clearly some of us 'round here are pulling our weight, (hubby and I actually.) The chickens, however, haven't read the pamphlet on; biodiversity and mutually beneficial partnerships! I put the seedlings in, they dig'em up!

It's driving me potty. They're going the right way about getting smacked botties and being reintroduced to incarceration....I'm drawing up plans for a chicken run, as-we-speak/read/type!

I love the chooks roaming the garden, but think I may have to introduce a curfew of 'roaming in the gloaming' during early spring each year, just until the veg and flower seedlings are firmly established.

****************************

On a completely different subject, I've finished reading Salley Vickers' Miss Garnet's Angel. (j.i.t. really, because it's book club on Wednesday!) It's a lovely lilting read, with several stories interwoven through one another. I really enjoyed the writing and it's pace reminded me of The Shipping News, which is one of my all time favourites. However, it did end a little abruptly for me. But still, overall I give it an 8/10 mainly because Miss Garnet is such a wonderful character.

4 comments:

  1. You sure you're not thinking of recipes as well for those chickens......as for seedlings you might want to swing by mine. You know Kew Gardens - all verdant, bountiful and overflowing ? Well we have been busy planting and the seeds have been busy growing -EVERYWHERE - I have sort of run out of space, a bit....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meet you on the M4 for a plant swap....just planted seedlings of Ox Eye Daisy, Sunflowers, Fennel and sweet pea. All these seedlings were thanks to a lovely mum at school. I gave her; Sweet Peppers, lettuce, a yellow tree peony, celery, basil and probably a headache.... as I wittered on about gardening, blogging, writing, editing. (I don't get out much nowadays!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a date - kind of retro adult card swap thing - love It ! I have rhubarb, strawberries - I know a miracle, about 250,000 pea shoots, tomatoes and rosemary. Can I pinch a chicken? Would it be ok kipping in my garage ? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would that make it a 'car-battery' hen? Geddit???

    Sadly cannot swap now, I already have rhubarb, strawberries, pea shoots, tomatoes and rosemary....are you holding out on me, what about the good stuff on the top shelf???

    Brag, brag...my rocket's doing terribly well, (better if the blasted chickens would stop eating it!!)

    ReplyDelete

The Archers at The Larches

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Lou - Chicken whisperer....

Snowy and Moon

Snowy and Moon